Skip to main content

Randomized Algorithms: Polynomial equivalence

We are all accustomed to deterministic algorithms; we work with them every day, and feel comfortable in knowing that the results of running them are predictable, barring a coding error of course. The idea of randomized algorithms feels remote and uncomfortable, despite their usefulness and elegance.  There are a couple of great examples in the introductory chapters of the book "Probability and Computing" that are an eye opener.

One is verifying polynomial identities: how can you tell that two different representations of polynomials are the same? For example, if we have two polynomials $P(x)$ and $Q(x)$, both of degree $d$ described by the following formulas:
\[
P(x) = \Sigma_{i=0}^{i=d} a_i x^i \\
Q(x) = \Pi_{i=1}^{i=d} (x-b_i)
\]

how can we determine that they are the same polynomial?

Intuitively we first check that the degrees are the same, then we could try to transform one form into the other, either by multiplying out the terms for $Q(x)$, collecting like terms and reducing it to $P(x)$, or finding the $d$ roots $r$ of $P(x)$, and expressing it as a product of $d$ terms of the form $(x-r_i)$ and comparing them to $Q(x)$. The first approach is easier, but can we do better?

The book presents a randomized algorithm to do the same. What if we pick a random number $r$ from the range $[0, Nd]$, where $N$ is a natural number greater than zero. For example if $N$ is $100$, we pick a random number $r$ from the range $[0,100d]$, and evaluate $P(r)$ and $Q(r)$, which could be done in $O(d)$ time. What would the result tell us?

If $P(r) \ne Q(r)$ then the polynomials are not the same. If $P(r) = Q(r)$, then there is a chance that the polynomials are equivalent, but there is also a chance that they are not, and that $r$ in this case is a root of the equation $P(x)-Q(x)=0$. The chance that we picked an $r$ that satisfies the last equation is no more than $1/N$---($1/100$ in the concrete example).

How do we minimize that chance? By repeating the evaluation by drawing another random value $r$ from the interval $[0,Nd]$. The book describes the probability of producing a false result as the evaluations are repeated with and without replacement, and they are less than $(1/N)^k$, where $k$ is the number of evaluations.

Isn't it quite elegant to find out that two polynomials are the same or not simply through repeated evaluations, and not through algebraic manipulations to transform either or both to a canonical form?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emacs on WSL2: From Monochrome Misery to Modern Elegance

Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) has come a long way—especially under Windows 11 . WSL2 now offers smooth integration for Linux graphical applications, making it feel less like a compatibility layer and more like a native experience. But if you're an Emacs user, you might have noticed something off. Launching Emacs under WSL can feel like stepping into a time machine. Tiny fonts, washed-out visuals, and a UI that evokes the green-and-amber glow of vintage terminals. Functional? Yes. Pleasant? Absolutely not. But here's the good news: it is easy to make Emacs under WSL2 look just as sharp and modern as it does on Mac OSX . The emacs-pgtk build is designed for better graphical integration under WSL. It uses the Pure GTK interface , which plays nicely with WSL’s GUI support. sudo apt install emacs-pgtk To make Emacs look great, we’ll use Windows’ rich font library. First, edit your font configuration: sudo emacs /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and add the Windows Font directory...

MacOS Catalina, OneDrive, and case sensitive file systems

Over the weekend, I dusted off my old Macbook Air to search for some old family photos. I have not used the laptop for a long time, and it was completely out of charge. I plugged it in, and it quickly booted. Shortly after, I got bombarded with notifications that many of the applications needed updating, and that a new version of the OS was available.   I waited till I found the photos I was looking for, before attempting to upgrade anything. I also wanted to install OneDrive to get my old files to the cloud, so that I can access them from any of my devices, instead of dusting off old computers to get to them. The MacOS upgrade experience has always been fantastic, and this one was no different. The OS upgrade files downloaded quickly and after a restart and a quick install, the Macbook Air was ready to go.   Upgrading the installed applications was also a breeze, however in the process I discovered that a large majority of the applications installed were not compatible ...

Why good customer service matters?

I am not an Apple fan, but I do like their computers, and recommend them to colleagues and friends for a variety of reasons. They are well designed, and in addition to an excellent user interface, they run a flavor of Unix--which makes the life of computer programmers a lot easier. But most importantly, Apple's customer support is impeccable, that despite all the hardware issues I experienced in the past, I still recommend Apple computers. Let me explain why. A year and a half ago, I bought a Mac Book Pro for work. At the time it was the first generation unibody laptop, that had an i7 processor, lots of memory, and lots of disk space. Alas, like first generation models everywhere, it also had a lot of hardware problems. The most annoying of which was the screen randomly turning dark, with the hard drive spinning out of control. The only way to get out of this state was by forcing a reboot by holding down the power button, and losing everything I have been working on. At first ...