Skip to main content

Down memory lane: Approximate counting

At work we do a lot of counting. For some counts we need an accurate result, while for others we can get by with an approximate count. For these approximate counts, as long as the result is within the same order of magnitude of the true count, we're ok.

There is a lot of literature on approximate counting techniques, and the blog post "Probabilistic Data Structures for Web Analytics and Data Mining" does a great job at explaining some of them in detail, with references to the original papers.

One of the original approximate counting papers was the 1978 paper: Counting large numbers of events in small registers by Robert Morris. In the paper Morris explains the context for the problem, which might seem foreign today. Back in 1978 he was faced with the problem of counting a large number of different events, and because of memory restrictions he could only use 8-bit registers for each counter. Since he was not interested in exact counts, but with accurate enough counts, he came with the technique of probabilistic counting.

The first solution he explored in the paper was to count every other event based on a flip of a coin. If the probability of the coin flip is $p$, for a true value $n$, the expected value of the counter is $n/2$, with a standard deviation of $\sqrt{n/4}$. The error for such a solution is high for small values of $n$.

Morris then presents his second solution, by introducing a counter that stores the logarithm of the number of events that have occurred $v$, and not the raw count of the events. He increments the counter value $v$ probabilistically based on a flip of a coin. The stored value in the counter is $\log{1+n}$ and the probability of increasing the counter is $1/\Delta = \exp{(v+1)}-\exp{(v)}$.

The paper is an enjoyable short read, and it is amazing that the techniques introduced in the 70's are still applicable to technology problems today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emacs on WSL2: From Monochrome Misery to Modern Elegance

Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) has come a long way—especially under Windows 11 . WSL2 now offers smooth integration for Linux graphical applications, making it feel less like a compatibility layer and more like a native experience. But if you're an Emacs user, you might have noticed something off. Launching Emacs under WSL can feel like stepping into a time machine. Tiny fonts, washed-out visuals, and a UI that evokes the green-and-amber glow of vintage terminals. Functional? Yes. Pleasant? Absolutely not. But here's the good news: it is easy to make Emacs under WSL2 look just as sharp and modern as it does on Mac OSX . The emacs-pgtk build is designed for better graphical integration under WSL. It uses the Pure GTK interface , which plays nicely with WSL’s GUI support. sudo apt install emacs-pgtk To make Emacs look great, we’ll use Windows’ rich font library. First, edit your font configuration: sudo emacs /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and add the Windows Font directory...

MacOS Catalina, OneDrive, and case sensitive file systems

Over the weekend, I dusted off my old Macbook Air to search for some old family photos. I have not used the laptop for a long time, and it was completely out of charge. I plugged it in, and it quickly booted. Shortly after, I got bombarded with notifications that many of the applications needed updating, and that a new version of the OS was available.   I waited till I found the photos I was looking for, before attempting to upgrade anything. I also wanted to install OneDrive to get my old files to the cloud, so that I can access them from any of my devices, instead of dusting off old computers to get to them. The MacOS upgrade experience has always been fantastic, and this one was no different. The OS upgrade files downloaded quickly and after a restart and a quick install, the Macbook Air was ready to go.   Upgrading the installed applications was also a breeze, however in the process I discovered that a large majority of the applications installed were not compatible ...

Why good customer service matters?

I am not an Apple fan, but I do like their computers, and recommend them to colleagues and friends for a variety of reasons. They are well designed, and in addition to an excellent user interface, they run a flavor of Unix--which makes the life of computer programmers a lot easier. But most importantly, Apple's customer support is impeccable, that despite all the hardware issues I experienced in the past, I still recommend Apple computers. Let me explain why. A year and a half ago, I bought a Mac Book Pro for work. At the time it was the first generation unibody laptop, that had an i7 processor, lots of memory, and lots of disk space. Alas, like first generation models everywhere, it also had a lot of hardware problems. The most annoying of which was the screen randomly turning dark, with the hard drive spinning out of control. The only way to get out of this state was by forcing a reboot by holding down the power button, and losing everything I have been working on. At first ...