Skip to main content

School and Chromebooks

 This year schools shifted to remote learning because of COVID-19. Before the semester started, our school district planned on a hybrid approach, where students attended schools physically a couple of days a week, and studied from home for the rest of the week. The thinking behind the plan was to balance the students’ exposure vs the benefits of in-person learning, however as the virus situation did not improve by the school start, the district abandoned the plan and opted for a full-time at home learning schedule.


Before the school started, my plan was to have the kids use their iPads to access their learning materials. They were comfortable with their iPads, knew how to use a web-browser, and switch between applications well. As school start neared, I started thinking that they would benefit from a bigger screen, and a decent physical keyboard, so I began to look for reasonably priced laptops that would do the job. As I started looking late, and I think a lot of parents had  similar ideas, almost all the laptops that I wanted to get were out of stock, with a month out expected delivery time. 

A friend recommended looking at Chromebooks instead. They are reasonably priced, and powerful enough for schoolwork. They have touchscreens, and good keyboards, and more importantly they are well integrated with the Android system and have good parental controls. I gave it a try and searched online for reasonably priced Chromebooks.


Again, most were out of stock, but I was lucky to stumble upon the Acer Chromebook 15. At $350, with reasonable memory and disk storage, a touch screen, and a keyboard, it was a good deal. And luckily it was in stock and shipped in 2-days, just in time for when the school started.


When it arrived, I was impressed with the build quality for the price, and the features the laptop had. Setting up Chrome-OS was a breeze, and when I used my son’s account for the laptop, Chrome-OS automatically enabled Parental Controls, tied them to my Google account, and Parental Link app. App purchase approvals were a breeze afterwards.


Next, I installed Microsoft Teams—the school uses that for classes, video conferences, and homework submission. I prefer having the application installed, instead of using the web-based application, however after a couple of tries, my son ended up using the web-based one. On the iPad, he became familiar with browsers, and switching between tabs felt more natural to him, and that carried over to the Chromebook.


It has been a couple of weeks now with the Chromebook, and everyone is happy. The battery life on the Acer is great—about 12 hours on a single charge, with good usage during the day for video conferencing, and educational games. The CPU is reasonably fast, and the thing is always on, so booting up is instantaneous. I forgot how satisfying that feeling is, when you want to do something, open the laptop lid, and you’re instantly ready to go. Perhaps I am justifying getting one for myself.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emacs on WSL2: From Monochrome Misery to Modern Elegance

Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) has come a long way—especially under Windows 11 . WSL2 now offers smooth integration for Linux graphical applications, making it feel less like a compatibility layer and more like a native experience. But if you're an Emacs user, you might have noticed something off. Launching Emacs under WSL can feel like stepping into a time machine. Tiny fonts, washed-out visuals, and a UI that evokes the green-and-amber glow of vintage terminals. Functional? Yes. Pleasant? Absolutely not. But here's the good news: it is easy to make Emacs under WSL2 look just as sharp and modern as it does on Mac OSX . The emacs-pgtk build is designed for better graphical integration under WSL. It uses the Pure GTK interface , which plays nicely with WSL’s GUI support. sudo apt install emacs-pgtk To make Emacs look great, we’ll use Windows’ rich font library. First, edit your font configuration: sudo emacs /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and add the Windows Font directory...

MacOS Catalina, OneDrive, and case sensitive file systems

Over the weekend, I dusted off my old Macbook Air to search for some old family photos. I have not used the laptop for a long time, and it was completely out of charge. I plugged it in, and it quickly booted. Shortly after, I got bombarded with notifications that many of the applications needed updating, and that a new version of the OS was available.   I waited till I found the photos I was looking for, before attempting to upgrade anything. I also wanted to install OneDrive to get my old files to the cloud, so that I can access them from any of my devices, instead of dusting off old computers to get to them. The MacOS upgrade experience has always been fantastic, and this one was no different. The OS upgrade files downloaded quickly and after a restart and a quick install, the Macbook Air was ready to go.   Upgrading the installed applications was also a breeze, however in the process I discovered that a large majority of the applications installed were not compatible ...

Why good customer service matters?

I am not an Apple fan, but I do like their computers, and recommend them to colleagues and friends for a variety of reasons. They are well designed, and in addition to an excellent user interface, they run a flavor of Unix--which makes the life of computer programmers a lot easier. But most importantly, Apple's customer support is impeccable, that despite all the hardware issues I experienced in the past, I still recommend Apple computers. Let me explain why. A year and a half ago, I bought a Mac Book Pro for work. At the time it was the first generation unibody laptop, that had an i7 processor, lots of memory, and lots of disk space. Alas, like first generation models everywhere, it also had a lot of hardware problems. The most annoying of which was the screen randomly turning dark, with the hard drive spinning out of control. The only way to get out of this state was by forcing a reboot by holding down the power button, and losing everything I have been working on. At first ...