Skip to main content

A week with the Galaxy Note 10+


Last week I made an impulse buy. I was at the Microsoft store trying to pass time while my kids were enjoying painting on the surface laptops and playing games on the Xbox. I walked around the store in search of something interesting and stopped at the phone display. The display had the newest family of the Samsung Galaxy phones, preloaded with Microsoft business applications. I picked up the biggest model and started to play with it. I liked its bigger edge-to-edge screen and the quality of the display. I must have enjoyed it very much, because I tried a lot of my favorite sites and applications, and compared how easy it was to read on the bigger screen than on my smaller iPhone X screen. I was so absorbed in the comparisons, that I did not see the sales associate approaching.

She was very cordial, and started to chat about the differences between the two eco-systems—Android and iOS, and that most of the applications that I used including work applications ran on both. Then she mentioned that for a limited time only, Samsung is offering \$650 for my trade-in, in case I decided to switch. In addition, because I am a Microsoft employee, I get a gift card for \$150 if I bought the phone in the store. The deal was so good to pass on, despite the anticipated pain of switching from iOS to Android, as I have been using the former since the first iPhone was introduced. I made the impulse buy, traded my smaller screen for a bigger one that was easier on my eyes, and got a faster phone with more memory and storage for virtually peanuts.

Setting up my applications was relatively easy, and since I had my contacts backed up on Google, restoring these was a breeze. Apart from enrolling at work to gain access to Wifi and internal sites, the process was relatively quick and painless. The most difficult part was fixing the text messages and restoring my photos.

When I used my iPhone, I exclusively used iMessage, which meant that my texts did not use SMS messaging when I texted someone with an iPhone. Despite disabling iMessage before trading in my old phone, other iPhones that I texted before cached that information, and so if anyone wanted to text me a message, that text would be lost. It was time consuming to send everyone I text frequently a regular SMS to indicate I switched phones, and to wipe out that cache. That took a bit of a time, and explaining, but I think now we are in the clear.

The more painful process was restoring the older pictures to the phone. I don’t take a lot of pictures but restoring many years’ worth of photos proved to be a challenge. I backup these images on OneDrive and Amazon cloud storage, but as I discovered trying to restore them to the phone, that I cannot select everything to download. I have to select images one by one, and then download them. This proved to be impossible since I had many years’ worth of images and videos.

I then decided to connect the phone to my computer using the high-speed USB-C to USB-C cables, and started copying roughly 35GB worth of photos and family videos. The process was not robust, and the time estimate for completion was ridiculous—roughly in days. I left the phone connected over night to copy as many images as possible and disconnected in the morning to use the phone for the day. At night I reconnected again to resume the copy, but when I woke up the next morning, I found that the copy failed because of dupes, and the connection crashed.

I tried multiple ways to copy the files to get around the dupes, such as copying a month worth of images at a time, but that did not work. Then I thought of an idea: what if I zip all the picture files and copy one humongous file to the phone that I can unzip afterwards. That crazy idea worked like a charm. The zipping took about 20 minutes, the transfer another 20, and I unzipped the files using the phones built-in file manager application. That took a couple of minutes, and I had my older images and videos intact. I was beyond pleased.

My experiences with the phone over the next week were very good. All my applications worked seamlessly, and I am enjoying the better Google voice recognition and map navigation, to the  point where I dictate everything now instead of typing. In addition, despite a slightly heavier usage, my battery life is about 2-days. And did I mention a bigger screen easier on my eyes?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why good customer service matters?

I am not an Apple fan, but I do like their computers, and recommend them to colleagues and friends for a variety of reasons. They are well designed, and in addition to an excellent user interface, they run a flavor of Unix--which makes the life of computer programmers a lot easier. But most importantly, Apple's customer support is impeccable, that despite all the hardware issues I experienced in the past, I still recommend Apple computers. Let me explain why. A year and a half ago, I bought a Mac Book Pro for work. At the time it was the first generation unibody laptop, that had an i7 processor, lots of memory, and lots of disk space. Alas, like first generation models everywhere, it also had a lot of hardware problems. The most annoying of which was the screen randomly turning dark, with the hard drive spinning out of control. The only way to get out of this state was by forcing a reboot by holding down the power button, and losing everything I have been working on. At first

Kindle Paperwhite

I have always been allergic to buying specialized electronic devices that do only one thing, such as the Kindle, the iPod, and fitness trackers. Why buy these when technology evolves so fast that a multi-purpose device such as the phone or a smart watch can eventually do the same thing, but with the convenience of updates that fix bugs and add functionality? So, I was shocked when this weekend I made an impulse buy and got the newest Kindle Paperwhite—a special purpose device for reading eBooks. I was walking past the Amazon store in the mall and saw that the newest Kindle Paperwhites were marked down by $40 for the holidays. The device looked good in the display, so I went in to look at it closely. The Paperwhite is small and light, with a 6” screen that is backlit and waterproof.   The text was crisp and readable, and in the ambient light, it felt like I am reading a printed book. I was sold and bought it on the spot. At home I have struggled to put it down. The books

New ASUS RT-AX88U router

  I have been using Asus routers for many years, and have been pretty happy with them. The web interface is superb, and the firmware upgrades are timely and easy to apply, and over the last couple of years have introduced newer features that kept my old router relevant and functional.   After many years of service, my older router finally gave way, and started dropping Wifi connections randomly, especially when under heavy load. The connection drop happens whenever the kids have a Zoom meeting, or my wife and I are on work calls. Turning the laptop/iPad Wifi off and on again did not help, and we usually had to reboot the router to be able to connect again. Out of curiosity I looked at the CPU/memory stats of the router under heavy load, and could not see any issues. Even when all of us were in video calls, the CPU/memory did not rise about 50%. I could not see anything abnormal in the logs either. Online I saw that a lot of people had similar problems after upgrading to the latest rout