Skip to main content

Information asymmetry and how it is changing the world of selling

Daniel Pink's keynote at the modern marketing experience conference was great. In the keynote, he talked about how the world of selling is changing due to changes in information asymmetry--what information is available and to who.

In the older days, the salesperson knew a lot more about the product than the consumer, and when they interacted, the salesperson had to convey a lot of information about the product to the consumer in a very short period of time. This time crunch led to the perception that sales people were pushy, fast talkers, and sometimes sleazy. The perceptions were not helped by an experiment where people were asked what was the first word that came to their mind when they recalled an experience with a salesperson. The top 25 words were not flattering.

In the new world, where information is at everyone's fingertips--thanks in a large part to the Internet, and search engines--the information asymmetry shifted the other way, tipping more toward the consumers, who often end up knowing more about the product that they would like to purchase. Pink argues that this shift in information asymmetry would necessitate a corresponding shift in the selling strategy. The new strategy has to shift from the older days' mantra: "Always Be Closing" to one suitable for modern times.

Pink proposes keeping the acronyms ABC intact, but giving them new meaning: "Attunement, Buoyancy, and Clarity." In attunement, the salesperson needs to put the customer needs first, and take their perspective when thinking about products or services that will help them, and explain them clearly. And in the face of rejection, the salesperson has to remain buoyant, and optimistic.

Wouldn't we all as customers prefer that new style of selling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emacs on WSL2: From Monochrome Misery to Modern Elegance

Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) has come a long way—especially under Windows 11 . WSL2 now offers smooth integration for Linux graphical applications, making it feel less like a compatibility layer and more like a native experience. But if you're an Emacs user, you might have noticed something off. Launching Emacs under WSL can feel like stepping into a time machine. Tiny fonts, washed-out visuals, and a UI that evokes the green-and-amber glow of vintage terminals. Functional? Yes. Pleasant? Absolutely not. But here's the good news: it is easy to make Emacs under WSL2 look just as sharp and modern as it does on Mac OSX . The emacs-pgtk build is designed for better graphical integration under WSL. It uses the Pure GTK interface , which plays nicely with WSL’s GUI support. sudo apt install emacs-pgtk To make Emacs look great, we’ll use Windows’ rich font library. First, edit your font configuration: sudo emacs /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and add the Windows Font directory...

MacOS Catalina, OneDrive, and case sensitive file systems

Over the weekend, I dusted off my old Macbook Air to search for some old family photos. I have not used the laptop for a long time, and it was completely out of charge. I plugged it in, and it quickly booted. Shortly after, I got bombarded with notifications that many of the applications needed updating, and that a new version of the OS was available.   I waited till I found the photos I was looking for, before attempting to upgrade anything. I also wanted to install OneDrive to get my old files to the cloud, so that I can access them from any of my devices, instead of dusting off old computers to get to them. The MacOS upgrade experience has always been fantastic, and this one was no different. The OS upgrade files downloaded quickly and after a restart and a quick install, the Macbook Air was ready to go.   Upgrading the installed applications was also a breeze, however in the process I discovered that a large majority of the applications installed were not compatible ...

Why good customer service matters?

I am not an Apple fan, but I do like their computers, and recommend them to colleagues and friends for a variety of reasons. They are well designed, and in addition to an excellent user interface, they run a flavor of Unix--which makes the life of computer programmers a lot easier. But most importantly, Apple's customer support is impeccable, that despite all the hardware issues I experienced in the past, I still recommend Apple computers. Let me explain why. A year and a half ago, I bought a Mac Book Pro for work. At the time it was the first generation unibody laptop, that had an i7 processor, lots of memory, and lots of disk space. Alas, like first generation models everywhere, it also had a lot of hardware problems. The most annoying of which was the screen randomly turning dark, with the hard drive spinning out of control. The only way to get out of this state was by forcing a reboot by holding down the power button, and losing everything I have been working on. At first ...