Skip to main content

Migrating from the Macbook Air to the Macbook Pro

My Macbook Air started to show wear and tear after a couple of years of heavy use. Five of the keys on the keyboard broke and had to be replaced, despite my light touch typing--honestly, and the battery has moved from the warning that it needs service to retaining electric charge for shorter and shorter periods of time, to not holding a charge at all.

For my next device I contemplated getting another Macbook Air with the highly enviable 12hr battery life, or switching back to a 15 inch Macbook Pro, and enjoying a more powerful machine, with a retina display and a respectable 8 hours of battery life. The prospect of more screen real-estate, and more processor power was too enticing, so I ended up getting the Macbook Pro despite the weight difference.

Since I accumulated 3+ years worth of data and software on the Air, I did not want to repeat the process of reinstalling apps from scratch and searched for an easy way to migrate the data to the new machine.  Most of the online recommendations were to use the Migration Assistant during the initial install phase. I decided to give it a try. I ran through the install process, created an account on the new new Macbook Pro, and started the Migration Assistant on the old Air and the new Pro. I chose migration over Wifi since I did not have a firewire cable handy, which turned out to be a mistake. Either due to a bug or an unreliable Wifi connection, the migration assistant would crash on both computers when it tried to migrate data between the machines.

I did not give up on the Migration Assistant, and decided to try another method: migration using a Time Machine backup. I took a full backup of the Macbook Air, which took roughly 8 hours to finish, and used the Migration Assistant to transfer that to the new Pro. The migration initially failed since my user name existed on the new machine--an easy fix by renaming the user, but then after starting the migration again,  the data copying was stuck for almost 11 hours with no progress. A quick search online revealed that this is a widespread problem, and not an isolated instance.

I decided to try my luck elsewhere. Although Apple does not recommend restoring a computer from a backup of another computer, I decided to give that a try,  especially since some of the applications I have installed including VPN and MacPorts store their data in non-standard locations.

I booted the new Macbook Pro in recovery mode, and  chose restore from Time Machine. I left the machine running overnight--the full restore took about 6 hours to finish, and by the end I had an identical setup to the one I had on the Macbook Air. I had to re-enter my license information for my applications, and apart from a couple of minor glitches with the Kindle App, and iCloud accounts which were easy to fix, everything worked like a charm, and I am very pleased with the result.

Hopefully I won't need to migrate computers anytime soon, but if I have to, now I know how to do it using Time Machine backups.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emacs on WSL2: From Monochrome Misery to Modern Elegance

Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) has come a long way—especially under Windows 11 . WSL2 now offers smooth integration for Linux graphical applications, making it feel less like a compatibility layer and more like a native experience. But if you're an Emacs user, you might have noticed something off. Launching Emacs under WSL can feel like stepping into a time machine. Tiny fonts, washed-out visuals, and a UI that evokes the green-and-amber glow of vintage terminals. Functional? Yes. Pleasant? Absolutely not. But here's the good news: it is easy to make Emacs under WSL2 look just as sharp and modern as it does on Mac OSX . The emacs-pgtk build is designed for better graphical integration under WSL. It uses the Pure GTK interface , which plays nicely with WSL’s GUI support. sudo apt install emacs-pgtk To make Emacs look great, we’ll use Windows’ rich font library. First, edit your font configuration: sudo emacs /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and add the Windows Font directory...

MacOS Catalina, OneDrive, and case sensitive file systems

Over the weekend, I dusted off my old Macbook Air to search for some old family photos. I have not used the laptop for a long time, and it was completely out of charge. I plugged it in, and it quickly booted. Shortly after, I got bombarded with notifications that many of the applications needed updating, and that a new version of the OS was available.   I waited till I found the photos I was looking for, before attempting to upgrade anything. I also wanted to install OneDrive to get my old files to the cloud, so that I can access them from any of my devices, instead of dusting off old computers to get to them. The MacOS upgrade experience has always been fantastic, and this one was no different. The OS upgrade files downloaded quickly and after a restart and a quick install, the Macbook Air was ready to go.   Upgrading the installed applications was also a breeze, however in the process I discovered that a large majority of the applications installed were not compatible ...

Why good customer service matters?

I am not an Apple fan, but I do like their computers, and recommend them to colleagues and friends for a variety of reasons. They are well designed, and in addition to an excellent user interface, they run a flavor of Unix--which makes the life of computer programmers a lot easier. But most importantly, Apple's customer support is impeccable, that despite all the hardware issues I experienced in the past, I still recommend Apple computers. Let me explain why. A year and a half ago, I bought a Mac Book Pro for work. At the time it was the first generation unibody laptop, that had an i7 processor, lots of memory, and lots of disk space. Alas, like first generation models everywhere, it also had a lot of hardware problems. The most annoying of which was the screen randomly turning dark, with the hard drive spinning out of control. The only way to get out of this state was by forcing a reboot by holding down the power button, and losing everything I have been working on. At first ...