Skip to main content

Cars and Tech


Twelve years ago, when I bought my car, my decision criteria were simple. I wanted a car that is fun to drive, had good reliability, and was gas efficient; traits that were missing in my prior car. I did not put a lot of weight on the technological innovations the car had; I was happy with a good navigation system, a CD player that held multiple CDs, and a backup camera that made parallel parking easier. At the time, almost all car manufacturers provided undifferentiated versions of these capabilities, with minor tweaks to the user interface, which made my selection a lot easier.

Over the years as the technology advanced, these originally innovative features started to feel obsolete. It was almost impossible to upgrade the hardware with newer and faster components, and software did not have a better story.  Only if either had issues or bugs, did the manufacturer offer an upgrade, through vehicle recalls or maintenance, or through map update CDs on a yearly basis, that captured changes in routes, points of interest, and changes because of new construction.

In the meantime, smart phones became indispensable devices, not only providing the basics of phone calls, text messages, and web browsing, but also the plethora of applications that allowed us to do everything on these small devices from navigation, to listening to music, to watching videos, and playing games. And with the brilliant invention of the car phone holder, I found myself shifting away from the built-in technology systems, to using my iPhone as the primary device for everything in the car.

Sure, it was less convenient to have all the wires hanging from the phone to charge it and connect it with the audio system, interfering with the gear shifter on my manual transmission car, having a much smaller screen than the built-in one, and substituting the on screen controls with the analog ones in the car; but these inconveniences paled in front of the infinite upgradeability of the phone’s software and hardware. There was no need to upgrade maps, or to worry about phone address book integration, to load or unload music CDs, or to worry about what audio book to choose ahead of a long commute or trip. And with the improvement of voice recognition using all these apps while driving became much easier.

I often wondered if it were more convenient for auto manufacturers to forgo building systems for in-car navigation/entertainment, and just have a space in the dash, where you can install or plugin your favorite phone/tablet, and easily integrate with the car’s analog controls. Then both CarPlay and Android Play came on the radar and made something akin to that possible. Car manufactures still build the entertainment and navigation systems but allowed smart phones to use the display and entertainment systems seamlessly.

On a couple of recent trips, I rented cars that supported CarPlay, and even though the car had an up to date navigation system with current maps and points of interest, I found myself using my iPhone and CarPlay almost exclusively, if only for the real-time traffic updates and rerouting, listening to Spotify or my podcasts, and setting destinations through decent voice control using Siri. I believe the trend of forgoing the built-in systems for easily updatable software and hardware platforms such as the smart phone devices will continue, and unless auto manufacturers offer similar capabilities, their built-in systems will become obsolete.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why good customer service matters?

I am not an Apple fan, but I do like their computers, and recommend them to colleagues and friends for a variety of reasons. They are well designed, and in addition to an excellent user interface, they run a flavor of Unix--which makes the life of computer programmers a lot easier. But most importantly, Apple's customer support is impeccable, that despite all the hardware issues I experienced in the past, I still recommend Apple computers. Let me explain why. A year and a half ago, I bought a Mac Book Pro for work. At the time it was the first generation unibody laptop, that had an i7 processor, lots of memory, and lots of disk space. Alas, like first generation models everywhere, it also had a lot of hardware problems. The most annoying of which was the screen randomly turning dark, with the hard drive spinning out of control. The only way to get out of this state was by forcing a reboot by holding down the power button, and losing everything I have been working on. At first

Kindle Paperwhite

I have always been allergic to buying specialized electronic devices that do only one thing, such as the Kindle, the iPod, and fitness trackers. Why buy these when technology evolves so fast that a multi-purpose device such as the phone or a smart watch can eventually do the same thing, but with the convenience of updates that fix bugs and add functionality? So, I was shocked when this weekend I made an impulse buy and got the newest Kindle Paperwhite—a special purpose device for reading eBooks. I was walking past the Amazon store in the mall and saw that the newest Kindle Paperwhites were marked down by $40 for the holidays. The device looked good in the display, so I went in to look at it closely. The Paperwhite is small and light, with a 6” screen that is backlit and waterproof.   The text was crisp and readable, and in the ambient light, it felt like I am reading a printed book. I was sold and bought it on the spot. At home I have struggled to put it down. The books

New ASUS RT-AX88U router

  I have been using Asus routers for many years, and have been pretty happy with them. The web interface is superb, and the firmware upgrades are timely and easy to apply, and over the last couple of years have introduced newer features that kept my old router relevant and functional.   After many years of service, my older router finally gave way, and started dropping Wifi connections randomly, especially when under heavy load. The connection drop happens whenever the kids have a Zoom meeting, or my wife and I are on work calls. Turning the laptop/iPad Wifi off and on again did not help, and we usually had to reboot the router to be able to connect again. Out of curiosity I looked at the CPU/memory stats of the router under heavy load, and could not see any issues. Even when all of us were in video calls, the CPU/memory did not rise about 50%. I could not see anything abnormal in the logs either. Online I saw that a lot of people had similar problems after upgrading to the latest rout